Sunday, I headed to the JCC on 76th & Amsterdam to meet the Hazon group to ride down to Governor's Island. My friend Barbara, who is a seasoned Hazonic also joined me. It was great to spend the day with her. We followed the West Side Greenway to the Ferry Terminal--headed out on the first ferry at 10am. Governor's Island was great! I had been there before (two summers ago) just to tour it, and now it has been opened up more & you can bike around the whole island. You are able to rent bikes on the island as well. Including 4 person mobiles! They have hammocks and picnic tables that everyone was taking advantage of. Such amazing views of the Statue of Liberty; see my pictures below!
Nigel Savage who is the founder of Hazon, also rode with us. Before we explored the Island he mentioned his motivation & passion for starting the organization. I was able to reintroduce myself, and mention that I had heard him speak at a PLP LiveNetworks session 2 years ago. I am so excited for the NY RIDE Labor Day Weekend!
FUN FACT: My dad was stationed on Governor's Island when the Coast Guard used the Island. "In 1966, the Army relocated its operations, turning the island and its views over to the U.S. Coast Guard to use as their northeastern headquarters. With as many as 4,000 people living there, Governors Island was the largest Coast Guard base in the world."
After biking I really needed to swing by a biking store and 'pimp out' my bike a bit more. First of all, I really needed air in my tires. I also needed to buy spare inner tubes, some tools, air pumps, lights, a patch, a pedometer (that works!-don't get yours at Target), and of course I 'needed' another little detachable bag & some water bottle accessories. I got all of this at Sid's which is located around the corner from my apartment--super convienent! The service was awesome & they installed everything onto my bike.

Nigel speaking to the group
My bike being fixed up at Sid's.
No comments:
Post a Comment