Friday, March 20, 2009

Why I am participating in the 9th Annual New York Jewish Environmental Bike Ride

{biking in Israel 2008}

I’m writing to tell you about a wonderful event I’m going to be a part of called the New York Jewish Environmental Bike Ride. It takes place Labor Day Weekend, and it’s run by an organization called Hazon, a small non-profit that does great environmental and outdoor education work in the Jewish community.

I first learned about Hazon in the summer of 2007. Some of you know I am involved in an organization called the Professional Leaders Project. During one of our local LiveNetworks sessions, Nigel Savage, the Founder & Executive Director of Hazon came to speak to us about his career and how he came to start Hazon. I thought ‘wow’ their ride program sounds great. I could see myself participating. I liked there deep commitment to an inclusive event, and thought it would be a great experience as a participant. BUT how would I train? BUY a bike - where would I put it? There were just to many BUTs in my head.

Each year I thought maybe this year I will do the Ride, and finally in 2009 my bike is purchased, has a loving home, (after getting rid of some other stuff to make room for it) and I am all ready to go!

I am going to be one of over 200 riders in Hazon’s 2009 Jewish Environmental Bike Ride! We will ride 100 miles into Manhattan over two days. I have taken on this challenge to help raise environmental awareness, and to add the Jewish community’s voice to calls for environmental responsibility. The money raised from this Ride will be used to support Hazon’s year-round work with food in the Jewish community. The funds are also distributed to support innovative environmental projects here and in Israel. You can read more information about where the money will go on Hazon's website.

Last year, Ride proceeds helped grow Tuv Ha’Aretz. Tuv Ha’Aretz is the only Jewish Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Program in North America. Hazon’s 32 Tuv Ha’Aretz sites put the purchasing power of Jewish famililies behind local, sustainable farms. Participants pay a fee to the farmer and receive a share of produce from the farm during growing season.

“I signed up for a CSA and am so excited to start picking up my fresh produce that will be brought into NYC.”

Hazon has also launched a family education program in Jewish day schools, and a high school and adult education curriculum. Hazon’s blog, ‘The Jew and the Carrot’ (www.jcarrot.org), which enables people all over the world to participate in this exciting conversation, and was voted Best New Blog in the 2007 Jewish & Israeli Blog Awards.

I would be incredibly grateful if you’d sponsor me. I’m hoping to raise $1800. Would you consider making a donation? Or, if you like- join me as a rider or crew member for the Ride itself (you can register for the ride and read more about the projects it supports at www.hazon.org). To make a donation, please go to my personal page.

If you prefer to donate offline, please contact me.

You will get an acknowledgement letter from Hazon for tax purposes.

Thank you so much for your support!
Sari

No comments:

Post a Comment