Thursday, June 10, 2010

Biking on the Wrong Side of the Road

So I just got back from a nice London/UK countryside/Bath vacation and I was able to get in some riduculously hard biking in with Joanna. We rented bikes from Country Lanes. We both did not think it would be so challenging. First of all can we discuss---the brakes are OPPOSITE in the UK! So that was a bit getting used to at first. Especially since most of the day consisted of going up-a-hill and down-a-hill! As you all know in England they drive on the opposite side of the road. Well that means the same goes for biking. Left turns end up being the easy turn! Joanna and I saw such stunning views. It was hard to concentrate on the road when you had such views to gaze at. Our trip consisted of visiting Beatrice Potter's home & gardens. Check out Peter Rabbit's little garden below! We also took a ferry over Windermere Lake (which is the largest natural lake in England) & back. The hills were steep and I definitely gave Joanna some tips I had learned during my Hazon ride last year. These hills were steeper and I feel 100% confident about my upcoming ride because of them.

Check out the standoff that I encountered below. I decided to take an extra ride along the Lake while Joanna waited at the Ferry. This herd of cattle went to take a drink in the Lake and on my ride back they had moved to the road. They would not let me through. My first stare-down for sure! I lost & had to walk around them.

Ok turnsheets--the British like to write paragraphs as directions. Now when you are biking it si very hard to read a paragraph & look where you are going. We never found our last big turnoff and ended up biking very much out of our way (Picturesque nonetheless)....But biking those hills again was not on our agenda-and our legs would ot be able to handle it. We called the venue, which we hired bikes from and they sent a very nice man who came to get us. And he played Madonna music all the way back :-)  Check out some of my photos below. The camera could not come close to how beautiful this day was.

No comments:

Post a Comment