Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ride Wrapup

Food. All the fruits, vegetables were grown locally and the recipes were out of this world. Each dish had a card saying what farm the vegetables/fruit came from & what was in the recipe! I was able to get a few of them from a steering committee member! Purple potatoes, soy milk options, teas (we all know how much I love my hot water!), and desserts from Chantilly in Brooklyn. Yum. The ride was a month ago & I am still thinking about all the food.

People. Over the course of the weekend I met so many interesting people. From a shochet, (kosher meat slaughterer) to a nutritionist. Tevaniks to Adamah fellows. My weekend roommate, Sarah, even gives tours at the Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side. (Let me know if you are interested, I want to arrange a private group tour!)

DAY 1 Biking. The routes that were prepared were picturesque and challenging! The Hazon Steering Committee worked so hard to create new, exciting, and well thought out routes. I biked 55 miles on the first day. It was COLD beginning a 7:30am ride in the country, (Good thing Daniel made me go back to my bunk to get my hoodie) After reciting the traveler’s prayer in Hebrew, Arabic* & English, the shofar was sounded and off we went. Every 15 miles or so a pitstop with water, bathrooms, and cliff bars, were there to keep us energized & hydrated. (A great opportunity to reapply suntan lotion as well!). 55 miles was the farthest I had ever ridden and I was quite proud of myself. After biking all day swimming in the lake was so refreshing! To top off the evening they had a BBQ with lots of veggies.

DAY 2 Biking. Early rising again & 50 more miles to go! All that training paid off, because I was up and rearing to go the next day. After hearing a nice little lesson the night before about better GEAR usage, I was feeling more confident about the enormous hills we were going to face. We started near Bear Mountain and rode into Manhattan. The views over Bear Mountain Bridge were spectacular! The day consisted of so many hills, biking through Nyack, then through Piedmont, down the Palisades, over the George Washington Bridge, and into Manhattan!

Thank you all for your support, financially & emotionally! This was such an amazing weekend and I’d love to talk about it in length with you.

I learned so much about food, environmental programs Hazon supports, and priceless bicycling tips. The people & cheering support over the ride was amazing.

I am still fundraising for this amazing organization until OCTOBER 31st. Any amount will be appreciated by me and Hazon. You will be supporting a great cause and a getting a tax deduction. You can find out more information and make a donation online at www.hazon.org. Here is my personal donation page.
http://hazon.kintera.org/2009nyride/sarivictoria

You will get an acknowledgement letter from Hazon for tax purposes. Thank you so much for your support!
Sari

*Hazon Supports & sends funding to The Arava Institute for Environmental Studies (AIES) which is the premier environmental education and research program in the Middle East, preparing future Arab and Jewish leaders to cooperatively solve the region’s environmental challenges.


Michal & Michael--They got engaged!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment